Saturday, January 05, 2013

A Turkey Breast Resolution



I haven't posted in awhile, but with the New Year approaching I am felt inspired. With the smell of resolutions in the air, I made something healthy that I could use for lunch throughout the week. Save on calories. Save on money. . .

Smoked Turkey Breast!


1 - Bought a 2.5lb turkey breast at the local Fresh Market

The Fresh Market

2 - Brine

4 cups of Apple Cider
4 cups of Water
1/4 cup of Salt
3 tbs of Honey
Roughly chopped onion
4 Bay Leaves
1 tsp of Black Peppercorns
2 tsp of Louisiana Hot Sauce
Brought all ingredients to a boil. Let cool. Submerged turkey breast in brine and refrigerated overnight.

The Brine
3 - Rub

After removing the turkey breast from the brine, I dried it off with paper towel. Then I rubbed it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a random rub that we had in the cabinet.

Rubbed and Ready

4- Smoke

Heated the Big Green Egg up to about 300 degrees. Added Cherry Wood that I soaked in water for a few hours. Placed the breast in a rack over a tin pan filled with a couple cups of apple cider.

Basted with the juice in the pan at the first hour and every thirty minutes afterward.

Cherry Wood
Turkey on the Grill














The turkey was finished when the internal temperature hit 165 degrees. After removing from the Egg, I let sit for 10 - 15 minutes.

Done and done

5- Gravy

For the gravy, I used the remaining the following ingredients:

1/2 stick Butter
2 tbs of Flour
1 cups of a combination of remaining cider and drippings from the drip pan and turkey stock
1 tbs of Bourbon
1/2 teas of Salt
1/2 teas of Black Pepper

First, I melted the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Once the butter was melted, I whisked in the flour and continued stirring for 3 minutes.

Then I added turkey stock to the remaining cider until I had 1 cup. I mixed that in the pan with the salt, pepper and bourbon. I continued stirring for about 5 minutes until it was sufficiently thickened.

I adjusted the gravy recipe for my needs from Ina Garten's recipe on the Food Network website.

Belle Meade Bourbon . . .
Make sure to pour a bit for sipping
Whisking the Flour
Final Gravy

6- Serve


Yummy!

No comments: